Sometimes you just don't want to eat meat. This alternative will have you fooling your family and friends. The Sandwich that will make you not miss meat! The Homemade BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich Recipe.Here’s what you’ll need to make this jackfruit sandwich recipe:
- One 8-ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 40 ounces jackfruit rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 8 Buns sandwich buns of your choice.
You can use canned jackfruit but fresh always tastes better.
How to Prepare:
Serving Size: 8 servings
Prep: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- In a medium bowl add the coleslaw mix, cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and several grinds of black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat Heat 2 tablespoons oil until shimmering. Combine in a large bowl the jackfruit with the chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the jackfruit and cook, tossing occasionally, until the spices are fragrant 2 to 3 minutes.
- You will then need to incorporate the barbecue sauce to the skillet along with 3 cups water, stir, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Uncover the skillet, turn the heat to high and simmer until the color has deepened and the sauce is thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using a potato masher or forks to smash and separate the jackfruit until it resembles a pulled pork consistency and season to taste with salt, pepper and light brown sugar if you would like it sweeter.
- Serve on the sandwich buns topped with the coleslaw.
You and your family will not miss the MEAT!