Make Classic Beef Pot Roast! For a flavorful traditional dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) 7 Bone in Roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Fresh thyme leaves
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350º. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 7 Bone in Roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté until tender. Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender. Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves.