FRESH CHERRY FOOL
· 4 cups fresh Chilean cherries, divided
· ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
· 1-2 teaspoons sugar, depending on the natural sweetness of the cherries
· zest of one small lemon
· 2 cups chilled heavy cream (Greek yogurt is a nice alternative as well)
· 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon light agave nectar or confectioner’s sugar
· 4 sprigs of fresh mint
Remove pits from 1 cup of the cherries place them in a small food processor, with lemon zest and sugar. Blitz, then set sauce aside while you prep the rest of the dish.
Save 4 of your prettiest whole cherries and set aside for garnish later. Remove pits from remaining cherries and slice into halves. Whip the cream, then add agave/sugar and vanilla. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking. (Keep in mind that if you’re working very sweet, ripe cherries you may not want to add any sweetener to the whipped cream.)
Gently scoop and layer your whipped cream, cherry sauce and fresh cherries. Top each fool with a sprig of mint and a beautiful whole cherry. Serve right away or you can make the fools in advance, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dessert time.